Sunday, August 11, 2013

Its nice to be back!

Hello!! It's Chrissy this time, officially back to work with PoD for my second year. I have just arrived back in Pokhara and I have to say it's great to be back. although it is a lot muggier than I seem to remember! I had a wonderful holiday in the UK full of weddings, mini breaks, catching up with friends and family, and now I'm back and ready to get to work.

This is me with my family at my sisters wedding in the UK
 Harriet did an amazing job whilst I was away (I was pleased to see my flat still in one piece!) and it's clear that all the children LOVED her. Although I got a lovely welcome back, it was quickly followed with 'but why has Harriet left' !! I would like to say a massive thank you to her for taking care of everything so well out here. (Not only did she take over my job but she also had the task of keeping an eye on my dog as well and for those of you who have met her will know, that's not always an easy task!)

I've just about caught up with Bindu, Janice, Julia, Phil, the placement staff and the 4 volunteers we currently have in country and am delighted to see that things are going well. They are all really enjoying their placements and getting on very well.

However, on a sadder note, it was a shame to hear about the burglary that happened at Annapurna Primary School, one of the poorest schools we work with. They didn't have much in the first place, and most of what they did have (the toy boxes, books, pens and crayons) had been donated by the PoD Charity. It is devastating that this has happened to them and we are hoping that we can help get them back on their feet. I have a meeting with the chairman in the next few days to determined what is essential to replace to keep the school running and we are hoping that the PoD Charity can donate some emergency funds as it would be such a shame for this school to shut down. All the toys were taken from the nursery, they even took every pencil they could find. For those of you who have had the pleasure of going to Annapurna Primary School, you will know how devastating this will be for Bina, Tika and Anita. It's great that we have two wonderful volunteers at Annapurna at the moment to support them during this difficult time.

We've got several volunteers arriving in the next few weeks and lots planned, but for now I am off to the Street Children's Center to say hi for the first time in 6 weeks. Can't wait!

Fun and Games at the Street Kids

If you would like to join our team out here in Nepal to continue the hard work that we are doing, please contact Gemma on gemma@podvolunteer.org or call the UK Head Office on 01242 250901. If you would like to donate to the PoD Charity to help Annapurna School get back on their feet then please follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment